PhysLogger as PhysInstrument (PAP)

PhysLogger’s self-guided tour doesn’t work with PAP (found with thermistor exp).

Looks like a case of loose connections. Secondly, looking at the shape of the plot, I would suggest reducing the sampling rate 10-30 times, at least.

On Thu, 12 Jan 2023 at 21:33, Sabieh Anwar <sabieh@gmail.com> wrote:

Umar

See these spikes with an R probe.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: Thermistor experiment
To: Sabieh Anwar <sabieh@gmail.com>

Update:

For thermal profiling, I attached 2 physloggers together through the PAP terminal with Moshina and sir Umer’s help. Now that physlogger had a total of 8 analog channels, I connected 4 R probes to 1 physlogger and a Phystherm to the other physlogger. I took readings for a total of 32 minutes (2 min on, 1 min off). Here’s a graph plotted on matlab.

untitled.jpg

We then fitted Stienhart-Hart equation on each resistance reading:

Steinhart_fit.png

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 at 19:00, Sabieh Anwar <sabieh@gmail.com> wrote:

50K fine as well.

On Mon, Jan 9, 2023 at 6:59 PM Ayesha Jamal <ayesha.jamal.shamsi@gmail.com> wrote:

I took them all from the same 50K packet. I’ll replace them all with new ones tomorrow and take the readings again.

I’ve been using 50 K thermistors, should I take 10K thermistors now? The reference probe they made in the paper had 10 K thermistors.

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023, 6:50 pm Sabieh Anwar, <sabieh@gmail.com> wrote:

Shoudn;t all thermistors start at the same resistance/temperature initially?

On Mon, Jan 9, 2023 at 6:49 PM Sabieh Anwar <sabieh@gmail.com> wrote:

Can you identify the four thermistors and their location (color code corresponding to what location). Furthermore, on the same graph, insert the heating time profile so that I can understand this better.

On Mon, Jan 9, 2023 at 6:46 PM Ayesha Jamal <ayesha.jamal.shamsi@gmail.com> wrote:

Sir, I made a couple of changes in apparatus today. All are mentioned in my notes (attached). Had to take readings thrice today because phylogger wasn’t saving my data, finally after restarting the pc and reinstalling physlogger’s software, I plotted a graph.

Thermistor 3 (Orange one) took a longer time than others, I’ll replace it with a new thermistor and take the readings again just to be sure Insha Allah.

untitled.jpg

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023, 11:58 am Ayesha Jamal, <ayesha.jamal.shamsi@gmail.com> wrote:

I’m supplying 15 V. For decreasing water volume, I think I should use a narrower container, perhaps a 10ml measuring cylinder instead of a beaker?

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023, 9:24 am Sabieh Anwar, <sabieh@gmail.com> wrote:

How much voltage are you supplying to the heater? Decrease the amount of liquid as well. Thermal effects are generally very sluggish.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 2:33 PM Ayesha Jamal <ayesha.jamal.shamsi@gmail.com> wrote:

Took readings yesterday. I turned the heater on for 2 minutes and turned it off for 1 minute. Repeated it for 32 minutes. (Sampling rate was 30 minutes in the paper) This is the graph I got.

Only one thermistor (blue) started following the trend after 20 - 22 minutes. I checked the heater, it was working and water was mildly warm towards the end of the experiment. Before, using the hot plate, it took about 600 seconds (10 minutes) for the thermistor’s resistance to decrease. I believe that leads us to increase the duration for which the heater is on, I think leaving it on for about 7 - 8 minutes and off for 3-4 should show a trend on graph. Let me know what you think.

On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 at 07:32, Sabieh Anwar <sabieh@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2022 at 18:08, Sabieh Anwar <sabieh@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 5:53 PM Ayesha Jamal <ayesha.jamal.shamsi@gmail.com> wrote:

Update:

Increased the power supply’s voltage to 15 V, our probe started heating.
Minimum voltage from the physlogger required for the transistor to trigger is 1V.
Physlogger doesn’t show an output above than 2.5 V - 3 V, would that be a problem?

On Thu, 29 Dec 2022, 12:57 pm Sabieh Anwar, <sabieh@gmail.com> wrote:

There are two things.

The voltage to the heater should be around 15 V.

The actuation coming from the PhysLogger should be between 3 and 5 Volt. Nasir, please check base with Ayesha.

On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 6:14 PM Ayesha Jamal <ayesha.jamal.shamsi@gmail.com> wrote:

I set the power supply voltage around 5, Physlogger’s output isn’t going higher than 3 V. Voltage isn’t enough to trigger the transistor for the current to flow, hence isn’t heating up the probe. Do you suggest amping up the voltage?